| Prep 4 is the second and final year of Key Stage 1 and we aim to continue the development of the concepts, knowledge and skills acquired in P1, P2 and P3, while building each pupil’s confidence to enable her to become an increasingly independent worker. Continued emphasis is placed on personal, social and emotional development as well as specific skills in Communication, Using Mathematics, Using ICT and Thinking Skills and Personal Capabilities. Lessons are carefully planned to provide worthwhile, challenging and enjoyable learning experiences. Our areas of learning are as follows:|
· Language and Literacy- the essential points of reading and writing including phonics, grammar, vocabulary, spelling, reading and expressive skills are consolidated and developed further, while the pupil’s oral communication skills are enhanced through connected talking and listening lessons.. ICT skills are incorporated into all aspects of the curriculum.
- Numeracy- Pupils develop knowledge, understanding and skills in Number, Shape and Space, Measure, Handling Data and Processes in Mathematics. The aim is to develop and consolidate an understanding of mathematical processes and abstract concepts through practical activities, application and practice while procuring a sense of enjoyment.
- World Around Us- Topics studied throughout the year include Journeys and France, Houses and Homes, World War 2, Mighty Me and Forces and Energy.
- The Arts-
- Art and Craft- Art and Craft activities are inspired by class topics
- Drama- Specialist teacher provides a wide range of experiences
- Music- Pupils learn to play the recorder and enjoy specialist teaching. In addition, Prep 4 pupils also have the opportunity to receive specialist music tuition from external music tutors in a wide range of musical instruments.
- Personal Development and Mutual Understanding- Pupils enjoy activities which encourage them to investigate issues for themselves, to suggest solutions and to make decisions based on what they have learned.
- Physical Development and Movement- Our specialist P.E. teacher delivers the curriculum which includes Athletics, Dance, Games, Gymnastics and Swimming.
- Using ICT- ICT skills are developed and incorporated throughout the curriculum and in Prep 4, pupils have the opportunity to complete specialised ICT tasks which assess and recognise their attainment.
- French- Pupils have the opportunity to begin learning French and participate in a range of enjoyable activities including singing, drama, games and role play.
Special Events include:
- Class trips- Trips are linked to class topics and include visits to the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum at Cultra, Castle Ward and Tayto Castle.
- Nativity and school production
- Swimming Gala
- Sports Day
Information for Prep 4 parents
To find out how best to support Prep 4 reading at home, click here
Find out more in our half-termly newsletter:
May and June 2013
April and May 2013
February and March 2013
January and February 2013
November and December 2012
September and October 2012